Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Review: Shards of Honour


Shards of Honour by Lois McMaster Bujold

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Honestly, I'm fairly new to the world of Sci Fi, although I'm a huge Fantasy fan (why are these two so often lumped together? They're completely different genres!). Strangely, I've been more into Sci Fi on the screen than in books - Star Trek, Farscape, etc. So I decided to try out the Vorkosigan Saga because it seems like a pretty big one, and one that's not hardcore because I don't know if I'm ready for that.

I'm still not sure what I think. This was a decent start to a long series. It took some time to get going, with a lot of exposition given through conversations and not a lot of action, just spurts of it here and there. Lots of politics. A romance where a few days together affects each of the characters’ lives, choices and loyalty forever but I didn’t really feel their relationship at the time. I enjoyed the inter-cultural dynamics and cataclysmic war - and the worm holes and some of the tech, even though I didn't feel like there was really enough of it in this book. There was some 80s pop-psychology that kind of dated it a little bit. When the action did get going, I liked it.

Generally, I liked it but wasn’t really wowed. From what I’ve heard, the ones that focus on Miles are the ‘good ones’ so I’m just taking this as an intro. I’ll hold judgement for a couple more books, I think.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment