Sunday, May 11, 2014

Review: Newt's Emerald

Newt's EmeraldNewt's Emerald by Garth Nix
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Newt's Emerald really is like a Heyer novel with magic and adventure. I loved it. The tone was so Heyer-like - witty and not taking itself too seriously. But unlike Heyer's, the focus was more on the mystery of the emerald than on the etiquette and balls and romance, which were there but in the background.

It also reminded me of Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot but with less romance.

The magic is not a huge player throughout - mainly referenced but not experienced, so although I'd call this a Fantasy of Manners, it's not too much different than an ordinary Regency period novel. And since it's more modern than Heyer, there's less Regency jargon to get bogged down in.

A quick read, lots of fun, not too serious. I'll be keeping my eye out in case Nix decides to write more in this vein (please!).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment