Thursday, May 1, 2014

Review: The Scarlet Lion


The Scarlet Lion
The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Honestly, I think this book deserves a 5 star rating. It's amazingly written historical fiction - well-researched, accurate as far as what is known about the people and time, and well-imagined as to what is not known. At the same time, it's written in a way that makes me care about the people and what happens to them. I had my heart in my throat with fear for these people, and loathed King John for his jealous vindictiveness. He really made my blood boil. And since the story had to stick to history, I was more afraid for William and his family than I would have been if it was strictly fiction. Imaginations are often not as cruel as reality can be.

So since it's a brilliant piece of writing, why not 5 stars? My ratings are based on my experience and enjoyment while reading. This was a great book, but I was relieved when it released me. I can't say I enjoyed the emotions evoked even though I admired the author's ability to evoke them. That's all. History is a scary thing to resurrect, especially the brutal Middle Ages. I can handle the violence of battles where the greatest fear is merely a bloody death, but the political knives being stabbed into the hearts of our heroes and heroines are not for the faint at heart. Which would be me.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment