Saturday, May 3, 2014

Review: The Hero's Lot


The Hero's Lot
The Hero's Lot by Patrick W. Carr

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The Hero's Lot is a case of the second book in the trilogy exceeding the first. From page one, the action is non-stop and the pacing is just right. The learning and growth of the characters are sprinkled in just enough to keep me invested where pure action wouldn't.

I don't know why there's a big focus on this being a Christian Fantasy. I actually think it would be appreciated by a wider audience, and I'm glad I stumbled on the first book through NetGalley.

It's not a very obvious or simple allegory as some in this category are, and is hardly recognizable as our Medieval Christian past. I feel as if I'm reading about another, well-developed world with its own history and religion. Other than the priests and a sort of Trinity, one of whom is a son who saved humanity at some point, it's not recognizably Christian either. (Well, it's more obvious now that I think about it, but it wasn't while I was reading.) I would say the worldview has its inspiration there, but the story is a great adventure with some thoughtful and noble characters who really know what they're doing with a sword or a staff.

The first book set up the world, the magic of lots, and the characters, and now they begin to live. Corruption in the church has the upper hand for now, but in spite of the odds being against him, Errol's hopeless journey is one of discovery. Beliefs are challenged, what is known is proven false, and even the priests question their own prejudices and assumptions.

Beyond that, there are sword fights and whirling staffs, and demon-possessed monsters giving chase. This was solidly an adventure more than political or religious intrigue. As a second book, it increased the complexity and tension of the conflict that's coming instead of getting bogged down. The ending left me eager to find out what happens next. All hell is going to break loose - literally, I think. I can't wait to see how it plays out.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment