Friday, May 23, 2014

Review: A Poisoned Season


A Poisoned Season
A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I’ve decided I like Lady Emily after all! Reading the first book, I wasn’t sure - but that was because I couldn’t help comparing her to Lady Julia Grey, my favorite Victorian widow sleuth and my first love of the genre.

But now I’ve had some time without a lot of new Lady Julia material to read, and was able to find some space in my heart for Emily. She’s another heroine who can’t quite live within the strictures of Victorian society, and finds freedom as a widow that she never could have had as a wife - although her scandalous habit of drinking port still makes her rather suspect to many, not to mention her newly discovered love of Ancient Greek and antiquities, and her reluctance to re-marry.

In this second installment of the series, Emily discovers that being a widow is not a complete protection for her reputation now that she's out of mourning. She gets herself into some serious trouble with her social carelessness while investigating a murder. I have to say she won me over by the end, and I enjoyed the mystery as well - I didn't figure out what was going on right away.

As far as the complementary leading male is concerned, I suppose I do like Colin too, even though so far he seems a bit too… good and honorable. Not even a whiff of the rogue on this one, and the only mysterious thing about him is the question of what exactly he does for the government. The fact that he’s most likely a spy does make him a bit interesting, but Lady Julia's Brisbane wins this contest for sure as one of my favorite male leads of all time.

I enjoyed this for the many reasons that I love mysteries set in this time period - the social comedy, the relationships, the mishaps and scandals (or bluestocking tendencies) that shock high society, all mixed in with a bit of a mystery to make it more interesting and add a flare of danger and intrigue. The Lady Julia series is my first love of this genre, but that doesn't mean I can't learn to love others as well. Let's have some more Emily.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment