Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Rabbi - Noah Gordon

The Rabbi The Rabbi by Noah Gordon
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I've enjoyed Noah Gordon's style in his Historical Fiction books. There's an earthiness to his writing that makes the past feel immediate and his characters real.

Unfortunately, I like those qualities much less in a contemporary setting. Even though The Rabbi focuses on a way of life that is less familiar to me, that earthiness becomes too realistic and depressing - and even boring - in a setting that is too close to current day for my comfort. Contemporary here is the 1960s, but it feels very much like the type of contemporary that I read in school and ran away from as fast as I could once reading it was no longer required.

I will continue to pursue Gordon's other historical work, but I'll be steering clear of anything set in the 20th Century or later.


No comments:

Post a Comment