Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

The Cuckoo's Calling The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was needing a really good mystery where the murder actually gets investigated methodically and the picture is gradually revealed through interviews and evidence gathering. I know that might sound boring, but it's totally not! I've had my eye on The Cuckoo's Calling for a long time and finally decided to go for it. I'm so glad I did because it was completely satisfying as a mystery. It kept me on the case while I wasn't reading it, trying to put the clues together.

I had a couple of decent theories, but I was nowhere close to being right. I love a mystery that gives me enough to chew on but still surprises me in the end. Especially when the answer fits all the pieces together instead of adding something new - of course I can't figure it out if I don't have all the information. But that was not a problem here, so the 'clicking into place' was very satisfying.

The characters are really well done. Even more than the mystery, they are what kept me up late reading. Cormoran is such a great character, full of tension. He's real and deep, and I loved seeing his progression throughout the book. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops in the sequels. The story really is about him, not just about a murder that happens to need a detective as a byproduct.

I also really loved Robin, his temp secretary. She's enthusiastic, smart, enterprising, and empathetic. She provides a good balance for Cormoran's older, broken-down, gritty brilliance. They both feel like real people with more than enough depth to sustain a series.

Add to this a vivid setting with a real sense of current day London and interesting details about the lives of the rich and famous (it's not all roses), and you have a truly rich novel, not generic in any way.

The book lingered with me after I finished it, and is still vivid in my mind a few days later. It's safe to say I loved it. If I hesitate to give it 5 stars, it's only because of how realistic it was - something that I appreciate but don't always enjoy when it comes to the darker, seedier side of life. But, although it was dark at points, it wasn't bleak, and I can deal with that. I'm even getting better at enjoying that (gasp!).

Aside: If I hadn't already known J.K. Rowling wrote this, I wouldn't have had a clue. She uses a completely different voice, style, and genre - hence the pseudonym. In my mind, the high quality and maturity of this book proves her versatility and growth as a writer. I'm thrilled that she's found a new creative direction that I can enjoy based on its own merits. Keep 'em coming!


No comments:

Post a Comment