Monday, August 24, 2015

Grey Mask: A Miss Silver Mystery - Patricia Wentworth

Grey Mask: A Miss Silver Mystery Grey Mask: A Miss Silver Mystery by Patricia Wentworth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Grey Mask is the first in one of the classic Golden Age detective mystery series, one that seems to have been largely forgotten. I really enjoyed it, apart from some excessive use of the word "frightfully" and one character who was unbelievably silly.

This is my first author from the era, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but Miss Silver (the detective) is just a minor side character. Her clients are the main characters here, and she pops up to help along the way. I don't even know enough about her to know whether I like her or not. I'm curious to see whether this pattern continues in the series.

As far as the mystery goes, it wasn't one that I really tried to figure out. I just went a long for the ride, learning things as the characters did, often being told them by Miss Silver or someone else. So it wasn't the puzzle kind of mystery for me. Still entertaining though.

I definitely plan to read on, but I also need to read some of the more well-known Golden Age authors for comparison. For now, this is 4 stars for entertainment value.


No comments:

Post a Comment