Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: Shadowmarch


Shadowmarch
Shadowmarch by Tad Williams

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I'm a fan of Tad Williams. I've read his Memory of Sorrow and Thorn series twice, and plan to read Otherland again someday. But this one is just not for me. It's definitely in the category of Dark Fantasy, and I'm not ready to read 2500 pages of bleakness, hopelessness, and madness.

I know when it starts out bad only to get worse, when everything that could go wrong does, and everyone who started out solid begins to fall apart and twist into something else, that it's not going to improve through the next 4 books. The intro/setup is likely the highest point in the whole series, which is not saying much.

I decided long ago not to put myself through depressing reading because it's not something I can enjoy. I had read reviews saying that this series fell into the Dark Fantasy category, but I had to try it for myself. I tried it. I don't want to read anymore of it. I will still read more of Tad Williams' work that is not in this category in the future.

Edit: I normally rate books 1 star that I can't even finish, but I'm giving this 2 stars just because I do like Williams' writing style. He's good.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment