Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Review: Veil of Pearls


Veil of Pearls
Veil of Pearls by MaryLu Tyndall

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I picked this up as a Kindle Daily Deal, thinking the story of an escaped slave and a plantation owner's son had to be interesting. And it was, especially for this type of romance. What I wasn't anticipating was the overly mystical preachiness.

I've read some Christian authors who don't rub your face in it, but this one got to be too much for me. Too much prayer, rationalizing events to fit them into a certain idea of faith, and even worse - magical divine intervention all over the place, including disembodied voices telling characters what to do and a mysterious ghost (I mean vision) that keeps appearing and quoting scriptures. This was simply too much for me.

So I'm not the target audience, obviously. I feel it could have been a stronger story without miraculous intervention, and I'm glad to be done with it. Thankfully my list of books bought this way is getting smaller.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment