Sunday, March 2, 2014

Review: Everneath


Everneath
Everneath by Brodi Ashton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I was beginning to think I had moved beyond being able to enjoy the YA Paranormal genre, but Everneath is actually one of the better ones I’ve read in a while. I will admit I’m past being able to relate even remotely to high school drama, dances, curfews and the idea of parents who still tell me what to do (maybe even to the point of nostalgia). But the selling points for me were the modern take on the Persephone myth and the romance, which was neither insta-love nor a real love triangle (although there is a 2nd guy in the mix, I didn’t see him as a real option).

The story starts in the middle, after Nikki has already paid the price for her disastrous choice to go to the underworld. We see the fallout of her decision, and flash back to the (stupid) reasons she made it. Now she’s hoping to put her old life back together and somehow avoid the ultimate fate that awaits her - the closing of the trap she’s already triggered.

As with many of these Paranormals, once I looked back I couldn’t point to a whole lot that actually happened (because a lot of it is at school or a dance or doing other high school-ish activities), but there were some tense moments towards the end of the book, and I’m looking forward to picking up the sequel and seeing where this one is headed.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment