Saturday, March 8, 2014

Review: Princess of the Sword

Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)Princess of the Sword by Lynn Kurland
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm finally getting back to review this last book in the original Nine Kingdoms trilogy. There was less blubbering in Princess of the Sword, thank goodness! I enjoyed the cozy fantasy elements of this world even though the world building was kind of vague. And this was a decent ending to the story even though the final conflict was a bit too easy to call it anything close to epic.

There was a bit too much focus on the romance for me, though. Too much romantic lingering, standing around hugging and talking quietly. And the big conflict ended so early that I thought it was a false victory for a while. But no - there were just 60 pages of happily ever after at the end. Which is why this was more romance than fantasy.

I haven’t really read much in the Romantic Fantasy genre, so now I know what to expect from it. I do like a bit of romance in my fantasy, but I think I have to be in the right mood for something like this with romance as the main focus. I probably would have done better with this trilogy if I'd taken a break between books, but the cliffhanger endings got me.

Still, I might revisit the genre again someday, and will probably pick up the next book set in the Nine Kingdoms at some point. It's enjoyable enough if you want a romance with a fantasy backdrop (especially if you want a very chaste romance). It's slightly frustrating if you’re more interested in the fantasy and world building and want a more difficult struggle for the fate of the world.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment