Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: Darkfever


Darkfever
Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I picked up Darkfever as a free ebook promotion and had no idea what I was getting into. Before I knew it, I'd purchased and devoured the first four books of the series and was kicking myself for not checking to see if it was complete because I was going to have to wait for the last book to come out. And then re-read them all. (Don't worry, the series is finished now.)

This is not the kind of series that you can just chill out between books. It's intense, it grabs you, and you can't let it go. But you have to have a little faith that the blond, pink-obsessed main character is going to change along the way. It doesn't happen in the first book, but trust me, her world gets turned upside-down and she becomes far less air-headed and annoying.

What really grabs me in the beginning is the old-world feel of Ireland where this takes place. It's the kind of place where you can imagine a fine line between Earth and Faerie. And the kind of place where you find musty old book shops to get lost in. Then we have a mysterious, hostile male, resigned to helping the naive female for unknown personal reasons. Yeah, he definitely makes the series.

There is one big negative for me, and that's the sexually explicit content. The overall story was good enough for me to gloss over it, but I still don't see the necessity. Especially the part where just being in the presence of a Faerie causes mindless stripping and orgasmic experiences. I've just had to block that out, but the cataclysmic action is that good (again, talking the entire series here). It's saying a lot that this series remains a favorite that I'd re-read - although it could have been worth 5 stars if I didn't have to partition my brain to enjoy it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment