Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Steel Queen - Karen Azinger

The Steel QueenThe Steel Queen by Karen Azinger
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This was a fairly ambivalent 3 star Medieval-type fantasy right until the end, which I hated. It felt like an attempt to be shocking like Game of Thrones, but came completely out of left field. I was not happy. I am also not happy with the cliffhanger but I don't think I care enough to find out what happens next.

There were a few characters here that I liked, and a few that I hated (as I was supposed to - POVs are alternating from good vs. evil characters). I didn't really like having to read the viewpoint of the evil ones, but that's me. I don't enjoy getting into the minds of the dark side, and began skimming those. But it was an interesting approach to see how evil actively built its influence.

I suppose it was actually pretty good for a self-published novel, just a bit too dark for me. There were some spelling errors that I had to ignore, and some jumps in character that could have been developed more smoothly. But it did hold my attention, and like I said, I 'liked it' when it was focused on the 'good' characters, right until the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment