Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Silent in the Grave - Deanna Raybourn


Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Lady Julia Grey series is one of my favorites series ever. It's one of those that jumped out with the first line and grabbed me in: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband’s dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor." From that line onward, I was completely besotted with it. I was a bit nervous for this re-read in case it didn't match up. Thankfully, I loved it almost as much the second time around. Knowing the culprit took some of the tension out this time, but being able to revisit the characters more than made up for it.

I've read other books in the Historical Mystery genre since this, which was my "discovery book" for the genre, so I now have a more judgmental eye. I still think the mystery is decent, although the actual investigation is much less of a focus than Julia and her journey from a mouse of a widow into a woman finding out who she is. I am also less tolerant of romance these days, and this was a lot more romance than I remember it being! But as far as romances go, this is a good one, and one I enjoyed re-reading. Seriously, Brisbane is one of my favorite male leads ever.

I'm keeping my rating at 5 stars, in part because this was my first discovery of a genre that now (almost) rivals Fantasy in my affections. It brought me back my love of Victorian times after I had (mostly) exhausted the classics and become tired of re-reading my favorites. The added suspense, romance and wit made it irresistible to me. I've since found a huge cache of books earmarked for my future, all thanks to this one little library find. It goes on the shelf of life-changers in that respect.

I've found that the witty humor is unique to Deanna Raybourn in this genre. I actually chuckled out loud a couple of times before I caught myself. I have read other historical mysteries that feel dry and dark in comparison, even if they are more focused on the mystery than the adventurous spirit of the heroine.

The characters are where Raybourn really shines. I remember all of them as if they are friends, and fully realized people. Even the minor characters. This series has some of my favorites of all time - the mysterious and tempestuous Brisbane, full of barely restrained energy. The intelligent, unconventional, and sometimes idiotic and impulsive Julia. (Sometimes I want to shake her as much as Brisbane must!) Fleur, Portia, Julia's brothers, the gypsies, the raven, the former prostitute turned lady's maid. All add something fresh to the story.

The Victorian setting is lush and filled with atmosphere, and the mystery and suspense, and even the romance, just add more depth and purpose to the story. The small touch of paranormal also sets this apart from many other Victorian mysteries. It's a great combination. I fell for it completely. Twice.

Raybourn earned a place on my favorite authors list through this series the first time around. She maintained her spot as a favorite with the 1920s standalones that she wrote afterwards - she is capable of diversity! And now re-reading this just confirms it. I love her. I can't wait for her new series coming out in the Fall. I'm going to lap it up.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original Review 4/23/2012:

I've discovered a new favorite genre! I love the mix of historical fiction, mystery, and little bit of love story. The characters are full, intriguing, mysterious, and witty. The setting is fully realized, the atmosphere intoxicating. The mystery is twisting, convoluted, and absolutely satisfying. Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment