Monday, June 2, 2014

Review: Magic Under Glass

Magic Under GlassMagic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An automaton that plays the piano, fairies, sorcerers and necromancers, and a 'trouser girl' who sings on the stage. Add a Jane Eyre style mysterious madwoman haunting the third floor of the manor, and you have a vaguely gothic steampunk historical fantasy with a dash of sweet romance. Quite an interesting combination.

Some aspects were less developed than I would have liked, leaving me feeling detached from it all. The world-building, the characters, and how their relationships developed were all a bit weak. I find myself not really caring whether I read the second book or not (this is a completed duology). I might feel like it at some point.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment