Monday, June 30, 2014

Review: Child of a Hidden Sea


Child of a Hidden Sea
Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I received Child of a Hidden Sea for review from NetGalley shortly before it was released in June. It looked interesting - a seafaring-based portal world with political intrigue, mystery, and magic. It is also not a Young Adult novel, which definitely appealed. The synopsis promised to have plenty for me to love. Well, I liked it ok enough, but I can’t say I loved it. It was entertaining, and I am interested enough to read a sequel if there is one, but I also feel kind of ambivalent about it and am having a hard time putting my finger on why.

I enjoyed the sea-faring aspect, and the descriptions of the natural world were vivid and breathtaking. Sophie is a Marine Biologist in her life on Earth, and her excitement at the new species she encounters is infectious. It’s a world I would love to see for myself during a sea adventure - on a real, old fashioned ship without engines, of course. She is also a diver, which comes in handy a couple times during this adventure (I wonder what would have happened if she didn’t know how to dive or have equipment - but that’s beside the point).

Sophie's curiosity about this new world gets her in trouble, though, because curiosity is not encouraged here at all. The world is full of unfriendly, stuck up, or downright hostile people, so I found it difficult to like anyone or their cultures. This is an aspect of world building that I usually enjoy. Instead, all of the wonder is reserved for the pristine environment, and her difficulties adjusting to the new world are a lot closer to real life culture shock - without anyone sympathetic enough to help her find her way and learn the ways of the peoples. Also without even a common level of politeness. So I struggled to care about the fate of this completely thankless world full of prejudice, the heroine’s newly found family being the worst of them all.

The mystery is about Sophie’s history before she was adopted on Earth, as well as who was trying to kill her aunt and why. She has to learn the politics, history and culture well enough to put it together without much help from the natives, some of whom are jealous, suspicious and aggravatingly condescending. Again, I really just enjoyed the adventure of being at sea more than the intrigue of these incredibly rude and hostile people.

I did like the juxtaposition of magic and technology, and how technology is viewed as inferior on this world but Sophie uses it to help her solve the mystery and force the natives to accept her findings when they would gladly throw her under the bus - er, ship. I do feel as if Sophie is on her way to winning over some of the hostile people so that her future adventures might include some actual friendships and therefore a better appreciation for the more positive sides of the world’s cultures - hopefully.

I also discovered that there's something about portal fantasies in general that bothers me, that I’ve felt before when reading others but couldn’t identify. It's that the ported character has to speak realistically for someone from our world, with accent, slang, cultural references, etc. Obviously this is to be expected, but I find it jarring to have someone with an American accent referring to fast food restaurants, texting, and the internet while in a fantasy world. This is just me, but is another reason I felt some ambivalence about the story.

Overall, it was an entertaining read, a little different from other fantasies I’ve read lately. I will be interested in reading a sequel, if there is one. The ending was left open enough while still feeling complete.

**Received free arc for review.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment