Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Review: A Draw of Kings


A Draw of Kings
A Draw of Kings by Patrick W. Carr

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



A Draw of Kings is a decent ending to a good Fantasy series that I really enjoyed. It wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, but still decent.

It gets right to the action and never drags. At the beginning, everyone gets scattered again and for a while I really wondered how they were all going to get back and wrap things up. As far as a Fantasy adventure goes, with all hell breaking loose and the fate of the world depending on the tenuous hope of a few people with impossible tasks, it was a fun story and fairly satisfying.

It was not, however, as mature and 'brilliant' as many others where the way everything comes together at the end leaves you breathless and full of admiration. That didn't happen. The thing is, there's a big 'aha' moment where characters figure out something really important, but it's something that I saw coming early in the second book. It didn’t take me that long to consider the possibility, so it wasn't very realistic that it was this great mystery until the end. The discovery was held off too long for a big reveal and it took the punch out of it, for me anyway.

Still, I really enjoyed this series and I think it's one worth recommending to people who aren't necessarily after 'something new' in Fantasy. This isn't genre-shattering. It's just a fun heroic Fantasy with lots of elements that feel familiar yet a little different.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment