Sunday, September 8, 2013

Review: Aftermath


Aftermath
Aftermath by Ann Aguirre

My rating: 3 of 5 stars





Aftermath ended up being a lot different than I expected, although it was true to its title. With the cliffhanger at the end of the last book, I fully expected the war with the Morgut to be ongoing - it seemed like an epic kind of war that was turning out to be the point of the whole series.

But no, by the time we find out what happens to Jax, everything has changed. In a kind of 'I really hoped this would end up better,' jarring way. If Killbox had been the end of the series, I believe it would have had that epically amazing ending that I felt was coming but didn't get. Now with two books left in the series, where does it go from here? What is bigger than the Morgut invasion?

I'm still not really sure what this was about. Plot-wise it's a mixed bag with a couple of important events, but nothing you could call 'the climax.' Mostly I think it was about Jax trying to live up to her promises and figure out what to do next. Maybe it's setting up the last book in some way that I can't picture right now, but this entire book felt more like a wrap-up chapter for Killbox.

One thing I can say, this book took me by surprise a couple times, but mainly because the shifts were random. And it still was a decent read. I'm curious to see where it goes. I do hope the end of the series is more... momentous.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment