Saturday, June 29, 2013

Review: Heir of Novron


Heir of Novron
Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Heir of Novron is a satisfying conclusion to the Riyria Revelations. It's an epic ending to a series that started out with a lighter, sword and sorcery tone. I loved the progression into more serious fantasy throughout the series, and loved that it never got too dark or gritty (or long-winded!). I found the dark well-balanced by humor and friendship - this was pure fun, but not frivolous at all.

The first book of the omnibus, Wintertide, takes place in the city of Aquesta during preparations for the Wintertide festival. Momentous events are planned for Wintertide, so although the plot takes place entirely in one city, the race against time intensifies the focus on politics and imprisonment, betrayal, loss and revenge.

The larger book of the omnibus, Percepliquis, is more of a travel-quest style fantasy with the fate of the human world riding on the outcome. Sullivan once again surprised me with the twists and the way his characters got into and out of impossible situations. His stories are like puzzles that suddenly click into place and then I wonder why I didn't see the obvious before. The ending did not disappoint!

I don't want to say anymore about the plot, but I enjoyed every minute of it, and am looking forward to picking up the prequels that are coming out later this year.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment