Sunday, June 23, 2013

Review: Enchanted Ever After


Enchanted Ever After
Enchanted Ever After by Robin D. Owens

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Enchanted Ever After is the third in the Mystic Circle series, a Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy centered in Denver. The first book in the series was heavier on the Fantasy with romance on the side (a mix I prefer), but the second book disappointed me with the narrow focus on Paranormal Romance. I was happy to find this book returning to the larger concerns of the Urban Fantasy world that I enjoyed so much in the first book.

I really love the blend of magic and modern worlds in this series. There are the Lightfolk, who are magical beings with power based on the elements (earth, fire, air, water), politics involving the powerful Eight Lightfolk royals, Jenni Weavers as a significant supporting character, and continued danger from the Darkfolk (a situation that was only referenced in the background during book two). This magical world is blended with modern technology and gaming, career concerns, and suburban cul-de-sac living with coffee shops and block parties. It's an interesting meld.

The downside was the romance. Disappointingly, it was insta-love based on a mysterious physical attraction. I usually prefer to see how a couple falls in love or else I just don't believe it or feel it. Luckily for me, the romance was not the main focus in this one.

It seems to me that there's plenty of room left for more stories in this world. Nothing was tied up as far as the larger conflicts are concerned, but I can't tell whether Owens is planning another book or not. I would definitely enjoy more of this magical world, and hope there will be more in the Urban Fantasy focus rather than the PR focus.

**Received free arc for review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment