Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review: A Cast of Stones


A Cast of Stones
A Cast of Stones by Patrick W. Carr

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



A Cast of Stones is a Medieval-style fantasy with a Church, priests and monks as a major power in the kingdom. But other than the similarities to the religious background of Medieval Europe, the history and the magic of casting divine lots is unique enough that I felt like it took place in an unknown fantasy world. Although much was standard high fantasy fare (e.g. unknown peasant protagonist), this was still different enough to feel fresh to me.

The main character is a 'boy' of 18 who has been an alcoholic for several years. I found Errol hard to like at the beginning because he was always drowning himself in ale and didn't care too much about anything. But as the story progressed, he grew and changed, and I really began to enjoy his tale.

About half way through - once Errol came out of his alcohol-daze and began to understand what was going on around him - I had a hard time putting the book down. All-in-all, a quick, enjoyable fantasy, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

**Received free arc for review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment