Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: The Snow Queen


The Snow Queen
The Snow Queen by Mercedes Lackey

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I had seen lower ratings on this than on previous books in the series, so was a little worried that it wouldn't be as fun as the others were. I think I know where those were coming from, though. There's hardly any romance at all, and that was always a large part in the past. I believe it's a positive difference here, though. A romance honestly didn't fit anywhere, and Lackey didn't force the issue, so I respect her more for leaving it out.

Beyond that, this was a fantastic retelling of the Snow Queen in the context of the 'Godmother' kingdoms. Aleksia is a Godmother who takes on the role of the Snow Queen as part of her 'Tradition' magic management. I loved that this story went back to the nuts and bolts of being a Godmother.

But rather than just reiterating the devices of the first two books (the 3rd was a little different), Lackey takes this one in a new direction. There is a second storyline outside of the tradition, and it's a really great parallel to the Traditional story going on. Lackey manages to keep the story fresh this way. Very enjoyable! Highly recommended to pure escapist fluff happy ending fairytale fantasy fans.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment