Saturday, August 25, 2012

Succubus Blues - Richelle Mead

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1)Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was, for the most part, a fun read. The overall plot is interesting, both light and dark at the same time, with some mystery, the beginning of a romance, and imaginative modern-day mythology. After reading the Vampire Academy series, I expected much more, however. I hoped that moving onto an adult series would be a progression in depth. Instead the progression is into sexual explicitness, and there is a definite decline in depth.

What continues to bother me is how the gratuitous sex overshadows the rest of the plot. I understand that the main character is a succubus, and that she is supposed to seduce men, but I don't need to read every detail of it. I dislike it when sex is purely about lust in any story, and here it is not only lust, but is with strangers or enemies whom Georgina despises. When it comes to romance, I'm more interested in love stories and get turned off when people are having sex without any meaningful relationship between them.

That is enough to make me reconsider continuing with the series, even though the rest of the plot was well done. I am disappointed, and thinking maybe I should stick to YA Urban Fantasy, since this is not the first time I've had this experience in this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment