Sunday, November 25, 2012

Review: The Thief


The Thief
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



The Thief starts out deceptively simple. Gen is dragged out of prison so that he can steal something for the king. A good part of what follows is his journey to the place where the theft needs to take place, under the enforcement of a court advisor and his companions. The only change in focus is the telling of myth-like stories of the gods around the campfires. This portion of the story seemed a bit slow, and for a while I wondered if this was really it. It was almost too simple, with only the one plot-line. But it turns out this is merely putting pieces in place for later.

As they get closer to the location for the theft, it gets more interesting. Then we get to see Gen's attempts at thievery, and it's lots of fun. The action picks up, and there are some real surprises, none of which I will give away. As everything came together, I realized that nothing was so simple as I had thought. It's always wonderful to have that feeling at the end of a book. I'm looking forward to the next one!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment