Monday, January 18, 2016

Just One Damned Thing After Another - Jodi Taylor

Just One Damned Thing After Another Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this time travel adventure, and that's in spite of the high body count. Who knew that being a historian could be so hazardous? Many of the deaths are sudden and meaningless. I'm a little nervous at what that means for characters in future installments, but for now I'm happy that the ones I actually cared about made it.

The book was not without issues, but I found them easy to overlook and just went along for the ride. For example, there is a period of four years that pass at one point, and it wasn't completely clear at first that so much time had gone by since Maxwell's training. That means character and relationship development during those four years were skipped and just told about later on. I missed getting a real feel for the dynamics that developed over time. It also made it difficult to understand why some characters acted the way they did.

But, as I said, I didn't really have a problem with this while reading because I was swept along by the action. It was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the next book with some trepidation.


No comments:

Post a Comment