Monday, August 11, 2014

Review: The Emperor's Soul


The Emperor's Soul
The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I've been saving this treat for a time when I really needed a quick shot of Sanderson goodness, and he delivered once again!

It's amazing how satisfying this novella is. Easily as satisfying as a full-length novel, but a tasty snack instead of a three course meal. It takes place mostly in one room, but everything is so fleshed out. The magic system is yet again intriguing, fully developed, and fun. The characters have depth, and the world is surprisingly clear in such a short time. And the story itself is interesting. I was easily invested in the main character after just a few lines.

As usual when finishing a Sanderson book, I'm wishing for more. I'd like to see more written in this area of his worlds with this flavor of magic. That's just the part of me that's always eager for something new from Sanderson, though. This is the first short story or novella I've read that didn't leave me wishing the author had just written a full novel.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment