Friday, April 4, 2014

Review: Hollow World


Hollow World
Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



If you're a fan of Michael Sullivan's, you've probably heard by now that Hollow World is completely different from his Riyria Revelations series. It has a different tone, setting, and themes. There's a more modern feel with cultural references and modern language tossed about. But the sense of humor is still there, as well as the seemingly simple twists that somehow end up meaning more than I expected.

It starts out in the present-day with a man who has nothing to live for (and is dying anyway) and so decides to try out his time machine. The future that Ellis experiences is really strange, but also cool. There's a sense of wonder at Hollow World - it's not a Dystopia, which I appreciated. But the world is not without its problems, and Ellis finds himself right in the middle of them. Along the way, he discovers what living really is and what he really cares about (too late?).

I liked it. My main complaint is that I'd like to read more. I feel like I just got to know these people and had a small taste of their world, and I want to spend more time there. I hope there will be sequels.

**Received free arc for review



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment