Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Review: The Hob's Bargain


The Hob's Bargain
The Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The Hob's Bargain is a high fantasy that focuses on a small farming valley and a small town with medieval-type trades. There's supposedly a lord who should be protecting the people, but a magical disaster has cut the valley off and the people are on their own. The disaster awakens old magic, some friendly and some feral, so the townsfolk are suddenly dealing with a resurgence in angry Fae as well as an army of raiders.

What makes the story interesting is the mish-mash of old magical creatures running wild, the strong heroine who is rejected by the town because of her own taboo magic, and the mischievous hob who is the prejudiced town's only hope of survival. There's a tiny little bit of romance - just a touch, and it's very sweet.

I found this an enjoyable, quick read, perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon. It's the first book I've read by Patricia Briggs - I decided to start with her older works instead of a series that isn't finished yet. So I can't speak to how this compares to the quality of her later work, but I do know I'll be looking for more by her.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment