Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review: The Dragonbone Chair


The Dragonbone Chair
The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Out of the older tradition of fantasy writing, this one takes its time and builds slowly, carefully, meticulously, until we have a world and conflict that feels real and surprising in the present with the depth that a long history provides. Really good stuff if you're patient enough to let it simmer.

I will admit to being bored at times, and frustrated with Simon's ignorance and naivete, especially in this first book. What I would consider to be the introduction takes about 200 pages. Then it's not really until the end of this book that it really reaches the pace and depth that spurs you on to pick up the rest - immediately.

No, it's not your quick fantasy fix, but it's infinitely more satisfying than the easy-in, easy-out fantasies that abound these days. I've now read the series twice in spite of the slow start, so I feel that it merits a place on my favorites shelf.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment