Friday, October 12, 2018

Lord of the Fire Lands - Dave Duncan

Lord of the Fire Lands (The King's Blades, #2)Lord of the Fire Lands by Dave Duncan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The way this book began didn't do it any favors. It promised a different book, one in a similar vein to the first, where the King comes and claims a Blade, and then that Blade serves through danger and adventure, etc. This is not that story.

It wasn't long before events veered off, but once that familiar beginning built my expectations, it felt to me like the story was going off-course. For a long time, I couldn't figure out what the point of this long flashback was, and I was anxious to get back to the real story in the present.

It wasn't until about half way through that I accepted that this detour was the real story. Then I began to enjoy it, and now I think it's a better story than the one I expected. I'm glad I stuck it out and I'm looking forward to seeing the fallout for the series as a whole.

Update: It had been several years since I read The Gilded Chain, but several reviews compare the two endings, so I had to go back and remind myself how that one ended. Let's just say Duncan has no problems rewriting his own history! Now I'm even more curious about where he'll take it next.


No comments:

Post a Comment