Friday, October 5, 2018

Dissolution - C.J. Sansom

Dissolution (Matthew Shardlake, #1)Dissolution by C.J. Sansom
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've found that an essential part of mysteries for me is the characters. Can I care about them, like them, see them as having potential for growth? The mystery itself needs to be intriguing, of course, but a clever mystery feels empty to me without depth of character, especially of the main character.

So, how does Shardlake stack up? What we have here is one of the grumpier investigators I've read about. He loses his temper, snaps at people, becomes tired and overwhelmed, and makes errors of judgment. He's not a perfect man, but he's also idealistic and compassionate underneath that gruff exterior.

He has a core of insecurity because of a disability that he believes makes him less than worthy. He also has a wealth of spiritual and political turmoil to grapple with. As the representative of Oliver Cromwell during the dissolution of the monasteries, he has to wrestle with his sense of faith in a time of religious upheaval.

There's lots of room for Shardlake to grow in this series. I think it's worth continuing with the series to see if he finds his way. Oh, and the mystery held my attention too.


No comments:

Post a Comment