Friday, July 31, 2015

Uprooted - Naomi Novik

Uprooted by Naomi Novik
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Uprooted is a standalone Fantasy with Polish fairytale elements. I loved how whimsical Nieshka's magic was, and how she learned to use it. I loved the dark, twisted magic of the Wood. I hated the 'Dragon' wizard at the beginning (what a jerk!), but he grew on me quickly, and I loved him too. I found almost the whole thing compulsively readable and let myself fall under its spell.

I didn't love the part when Nieshka left the valley, and I was surprised at how many people were killed (I wasn't expecting it to be quite that dark). I also felt that the romance could have used a bit more focus, especially at the end. Also, there were not any real dragons in this, so don't expect them.

It might not have been perfect, but I had a really hard time putting the book down and couldn't get it out of my head when I wasn't reading it. The Polish flavor was different and refreshing, and I loved how the magic and the Wood all tied together. Nieshka was a strong and resourceful heroine. What a great story. It was so much fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment