Friday, July 3, 2015

Anne of Avonlea

Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I think for me, this is a case of loving the TV adaptation too much. I had always wanted to read the books that inspired it, but now I can see why there are so many more books than episodes. There's a lot that was left out of the TV version, and I'm glad. It was a much tighter story.

The rambling of the book was alternately too boring or too painful, except for a couple of scenes with Gilbert and a few others that felt warmly familiar here and there. Other than that, the stories of Anne trying to control school children and adopting a naughty boy were too much for me. The first time I tried to read this, I stopped half way through. I just now decided I needed push through to finish it, even if I had to skim to get past those parts, and I'm glad I did go back and finish. I just feel like I need to go back and watch the show again to remind myself of why I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment