Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Catherynne M. Valente

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is such a lovely book! It has that old Victorian fairy tale feeling. It gives off the vibe of Alice in Wonderland or Wizard of Oz or other classic fantasy tales I read when I was a child and can't remember their names. It has a random kind of absurdity along with childlike wonder.

The story is unique, and so imaginative even in the smallest details. I loved the little touches like the soap lady. Valente's writing is beautiful and evocative. I can still see many scenes clearly in my head. She doesn't shy away from the darker fairy tale experience either, which makes it so much more satisfying at the end.

I would have loved this even more as a kid, but I don't think it lost anything reading it as an adult. This is my first book by Valente, but I'll be looking up her adult works now as well as the rest of this series. Highly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment