Friday, January 16, 2015

On the Edge - Ilona Andrews


On the Edge
On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



What do I say about this book? First of all, I liked it. I stayed up late to finish it. It was an interesting mash of things - small-town Walmart scenes with a main character who's just scraping by, alongside some pretty cool magic and fun side characters. I don't normally enjoy reading about children, but the two in this book are great. I love that they also take an active role instead of being part of the scenery that is Rose.

So, the Paranormal part of this I really enjoyed. There was quite a bit of gore in there, as well as an interesting magical premise. That made this a bit different for what is mainly a Paranormal Romance - it was probably one of the better ones I've read.

But, that is where I come to the downside. This is definitely a Paranormal Romance, confirmed by the fact that book 2 switches POVs to a different couple. So know that going in.

The romance was just OK. It didn't annoy me, so that's a plus. But it was very much a standard romance with a heavy focus on the physical attraction. When the guy is described as having chiseled features and rock hard muscles, etc., etc, ... the descriptions had my eyes rolling several times. At this point in my reading life, I'm kind of over this type of stuff. By the time all the descriptions of his physical attractiveness were out of the way, I think the guy's name should have been Thor. Except he wields swords and knives and not a hammer. Still.

Luckily, he is not just a physical beast, even though the romance focuses heavily on the physical attraction. I did end up liking him by the end, and he does prove himself in other ways to be the kind of guy Rose should be falling for.

If you like romances, you'll probably like this. If not, you might find it a bit much at times. But I found the rest of the story to be entertaining enough that it didn't really bother me too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment