Saturday, January 24, 2015

Child of the Prophecy - Juliet Marillier


Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This is such a hard review to write because I loved this book so much. There is something about Marillier’s writing that is completely absorbing. I’ve only read her original Sevenwaters Trilogy so far, but each of those books has succeeded in captivating me with a full range of real emotion. The characters are so real, and their trials so heartbreaking and rewarding that I can’t turn away. She combines tragedy and desperation with hope and love - romantic and familial love, love of the forest or the sea, love of the old ways that are dying out. They are all bittersweet, some more bitter than others. At first, I wasn't sure I liked being made to feel all these things, but the experience is so rich that this is now one of my favorite series of all time.

Each book has a unique story, and each affected me at a level that few books have touched before. I usually avoid sad books because the emotion often feels contrived, but these are not tearjerkers. I really care about the characters and what is happening to them, and sadness is just part of their experiences. It’s so real. I’m in awe of Marillier’s ability to make me feel it and not make it feel cheap or fake.

I wasn’t sure if the first two books were just flukes, but with the third, Marillier has made it onto my favorite authors list, and books 2 and 3 are solidly on my favorites shelf. (Book 1 was still a bit too dark for me, in spite of everything I just said). I am now greedily hoarding everything else she has written, and am glad there are so many left for me to read. I just hope they are half as good.

Enough general raving. Now to the specific review. Child of the Prophecy was often not an easy book to read. I was frustrated at Fainne, at her naiveté and the weakness that led her to betray herself and everyone else who mattered. I wanted to shake her at times! I wanted to reach in and prevent her from making terrible mistakes, or do something to help her find her way.

But Fainne's growth and discovery from beginning to end was a journey that I found totally worth it. 100%. The last third of the book had me completely glued to the pages, hardly breathing. It had me fearing, grieving and hoping all in one. And the ending was perfect. It was magnificent. I had to go read it over again immediately. I want to do it again right now. I still don't want to move on.

-------------------------------------------
January 4, 2015

Loved it - review to come hopefully later when I have recovered my senses.


No comments:

Post a Comment