Monday, July 28, 2014

Review: Threats of Sky and Sea


Threats of Sky and Sea
Threats of Sky and Sea by Jennifer Ellision

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Often in Fantasy, a humble hero or heroine will have their world turned upside down with a warning to flee some danger that is searching for them, and they get away just in time. But what happens when the warning doesn't come, and the heroine is captured? That’s what happens to Bree in Threats of Sky and Sea, and she is torn away from the humble world that is all she’s known, alienated from her father whom she realizes has lied to her, and thrown into a dangerous world at court under a cruel king. This world is so far beyond anything she’s prepared for, and how she learns to survive is the scope of this first novel. Learn she does, though, and she discovers much more than she bargained for.

Bree finds few friends at court, and most of them are spying on her or are in deeper danger than she is. It is not about political intrigue so much as Bree attempting to keep her head by not angering the capricious king too much, and trying to avoid other non-fatal physical abuse as much as possible (without much success).

I liked the magic system. It's based on the four elements: earth, air, fire and water. If someone is going to be an Elemental, the ability manifests when they turn 16. The king conscripts all who manifest, searching the realm for any who try to escape. So the dangers of court include hostile fire wielders and those who can spy on conversations carried on the wind. That's in addition to a king who is almost mad with power, who is known to send people to their deaths on the slightest whim.

There would have been too much hostility for me to be able to enjoy the book, except there is one character who is solid, honest, and a ray of light in an otherwise dark place. There’s also a tiny bit of a romance to lighten things up. It’s not the focus of the story at all, and at times I actually wished there was a little bit more build-up to it.

The ending did not surprise me, but it was suspenseful and dire, and it has me hoping for much more in the next book.

I normally don’t start new series before I know when they’re going to end. I hate waiting for sequels and have this fear of being left hanging forever in case they don’t get finished. But, I’ve been changing my mind lately and have started several this year. This one looked interesting and was available on NetGalley, so I went for it. And… I’m rewarded with a bit of a cliffhanger! Although it is a logical stopping point, now where is book two when I need it? I am looking forward to seeing what happens next, and how Bree grows into her discoveries. I have a feeling it’s all going to change.

**Received free arc for review.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment