Saturday, February 1, 2014

Review: A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)

A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)A Million Suns by Beth Revis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As the second installment in a Dystopia, this was very well done. I can't say I liked it, but it was good.

A Million Suns offers a very realistic view of what happens to the society on board the Godspeed after liberation from its pacifying drug and dictator. It shows what happens without a good plan for replacing those controls on the people with something more constructive. As the members awaken, the society disintegrates and chaos ensues. It's a horrifying view of the baser side of humanity when unchecked by laws or ideals.

Although I understand the direction it took, I was still disappointed by the fact that none of the people on board exhibit any positive signs from their liberation. They give themselves over almost entirely to the instinct to rule themselves without regard for others. They are all still like animals, all dangerous, none with nobler instincts (aside from Elder, who was already in a different class). But in spite of the depressing realities, the tension, the secrets and mystery, made this a riveting read. I only wish there had been some lighter moments. I'm looking forward to the final book - but hoping there will be more humanity in the society that emerges.

When I finished, I wasn't sure how to rate this. Based on actual enjoyment it would only be 2 stars because it's more depressing and dark than I usually like. But it was really good, easily worth 4 stars if only I'd enjoyed it more. So 3 stars seems a decent compromise.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment