Saturday, February 1, 2014

Review: Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Across the Universe by Beth Revis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Across the Universe was quite different than what I expected. For some reason I was anticipating more of a space opera but it ended up being purely Dystopia. It takes place on a space ship, but other than that it is about a far future society that is completely contained within that ship.

It is an interesting view of what would happen on a 300 year voyage to colonize a planet, with the colonists all frozen while the caretakers and their descendants run the ship. It's impossible to anticipate all that might happen on such a long voyage, and something goes badly awry. Amy, unfrozen 50 years before her time, struggles to adjust to an unrecognizable, hostile society that has gone wrong, built on secrets and lies. She's stuck on a claustrophobic - and creepy - ship where she has no place and her appearance sparks chaos.

Although it's a fascinating story and I do want to continue on, it's a bit too bleak for my tastes. 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment