Sunday, January 12, 2014

Review: Midnight on Julia Street


Midnight on Julia Street
Midnight on Julia Street by Ciji Ware

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



This is another of those books that I probably wouldn't have picked up if it hadn't been on sale - and had a lovely cover, which doesn't match the book at all. (I know I'm not supposed to judge books by their covers, but sometimes they do catch my eye and the synopsis sounds good!) But at 475 pages, I think this might be the longest contemporary romance novel I've read, and I just don't like them that much.

I know, it was also about historical preservation in New Orleans, and there were flashbacks to a previous time period - something that either works or it doesn't. Unfortunately the time-slip aspect was choppy, and it took forever for the earlier timeline to capture my interest.

On top of that, the modern reporter storyline felt exactly like a romance novel even though it was also heavily invested in a battle over some historic buildings. Sometimes I'll read this kind of romance for a change of pace, but I expect them to be quick - especially if they're in contemporary settings. This one dragged on until the last hundred pages, when I did finally get more interested in the whole preservation showdown. It just took too long to get there.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment