Saturday, November 16, 2013

Review: The Book of Lost Fragrances


The Book of Lost Fragrances
The Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. Rose

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



First of all, I hate it when I think there are 50 pages to go and it ends up being a Glossary. I turn the page and - oh no, that was the end! It totally messes up the level of commitment left over.

In spite of feeling like there should be more, this was an evocative, sensuous read. Looking back, I would rate the suspense story as a 3, but the language was thick with such vivid scenes that I felt it was more as I was reading. From the mouth-watering scent of Parisian bakeries to the stench of death in the catacombs, the descriptions are lush.

It is full of scents and elusive memories, echoes of past times and lost loves. Coupled with the mystical experiences of scent and memory, the modern-day struggles of the Tibetans and their reincarnated lamas become much more than political. The mystery and intrigues surrounding an ancient Egyptian artifact coalesce in Paris, a city with layers of history. This is a mesmerizing tale of suspense brought to life by the intricacies of perfume.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment