Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: Bellman & Black: A Ghost Story


Bellman & Black: A Ghost Story
Bellman & Black: A Ghost Story by Diane Setterfield

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



I got about a third of the way through, and it was just too much of a struggle to carry on. I struggled to get through the Thirteenth Tale when I read it as well, but I thought it was maybe just my frame of mind while I was reading it. I don't think so - I think I'm just not a fan. And I liked the Thirteenth Tale better than this one so far.

The thing is, Setterfield's books sound like ones that I would like. Some historical fiction with family secrets, mysteries, and a bit of the paranormal. But something in the way they're written - they're actually not my sort of book. I can't put my finger on what it is. For this one in particular, there are too many people who have died already, and I don't believe the 'tragic' events from the synopsis have properly started yet. The overall feel is going from bad to worse. All the while I'm actually kind of bored. And I don't want to stay with it.

I have too many other books on my to-read list to get stuck in one that I have to force myself to read. So I'm not. I'm sure there are lots of other people who will love this book for the same reasons I don't.

**Received free arc for review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment