Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: The Shadow Rising


The Shadow Rising
The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



*Possible spoilers on the previous books*

The Shadow Rising is one of my favorites of the series - and one of my all-time personal favorites. It's almost 1000 pages long, but it doesn't feel like it. Actually, it feels more like three separate books once the group splits up again. The introduction to these 'three books' takes place in Tear as Rand tries to figure out how to rule a nation and deal with political intrigue. I enjoy the machinations and details of court just as much as I do fast-paced adventure, so the time in Tear doesn't seem slow to me. Then once the action gets going...

The part on Perrin is fantastic. He comes into his own in this book, and I love where it takes him. We get to meet the hawk, and see a lot more of the falcon. Mat gets himself into a couple of interesting situations, digging himself deeper and deeper into the hole he's trying to escape from, and Egwene grows into one of my favorite characters - she is now solidly my favorite of the girls. Even Nynaeve manages to improve so that her part of the book is enjoyable as well.

I also love anything to do with the Aiel - seriously, they are one of the best aspects of this entire series in my mind. And this book really starts to explore their culture.

I am almost bursting from not saying anything more specific! This is not the sort of book that lends itself to plot summary without giving it all away. You just have to experience it.

And pay attention - a lot of details in this book turn out to be important later!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment