Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Review: The Fires of Heaven


The Fires of Heaven
The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The first few times I read The Fires of Heaven, it was one of my favorites of this series. Somehow I was able to gloss over the annoying, bickering women that dominate an entire section of it and focus on the rest, which is still really great. Maybe it's just all the Fantasy I've read since then that is forcing me to look at this with more discerning eyes, but my opinion has shifted a little - sadly.

I would like to give this 5 stars for all but the Nynaeve/Elayne portions, which are unbearable. Those parts were more like a 2 or 3. I believe this is the worst book of the series for the women, with them constantly bickering and fighting, and generally being obnoxious and catty. Plus their location is not appealing - in Ghealdan dealing with refugees and bandits and the Prophet, and traveling with a menagerie. Nynaeve does improve some in the next book, so although she is not likely to become one of my favorites anytime soon, there is hope that this is the worst.

My dislike of 'the women' does not extend to Egwene and the Aiel, or to Moiraine. I really like the Aiel and what they are teaching Egwene, and the humor and humanity they bring to Rand, and I enjoy the Aviendha storyline - hers is one of the romances in this series that actually develops instead of just popping into existence. And Moiraine actually tries new approaches to helping Rand in this one, so I feel that she isn't just a bossy woman throwing a fit all the time.

Perrin is completely absent, sadly, but Mat develops significantly into a ta'veren in his own right, and Rand's story really moves. So much happens in this book! From the Aiel Waste into Cairhien and beyond, the world changes, and people change.

I really wish I could still give this 5 stars, since I love all but the Nynaeve/Elayne portions. But I have to knock a star off because I just can't say I enjoyed the whole thing without reservation.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment