Friday, July 8, 2016

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my second time reading The Goblet of Fire, and I still (mostly) loved it. The Weasleys' house, the Quidditch World Cup, being at Hogwarts, the tournament, and seeing Harry actually struggle to learn charms and curses - these were all so fun. I love this world, and loved seeing new parts of it.

BUT, it's getting dark. I found myself dreading certain parts, knowing what was coming. And with prior knowledge, events seemed even more sinister than before. (view spoiler) People are betraying and cursing each other left and right, and even good wizards and witches are just generally being ugly people. Not to mention the killings. This is not a children's adventure story anymore.

Honestly, this is where I begin to miss the wonder and charm of the wizarding world that balanced the dark in the first three books. Now everything starts to become tainted by realistic meanness, adolescent angst, real violence and death. So sad. But of course, there's still so much that's wonderful and new too. I love the story, but hate some of the things that happen in it. I'm so conflicted!


No comments:

Post a Comment