Friday, February 19, 2016

Fox's Bride - A.E. Marling

Fox's Bride Fox's Bride by A.E. Marling
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Fox's Bride is unusual, at times bordering on bizarre. Just the title gives that away. Yes, a woman is really supposed to marry a fox - the fox is an incarnation of one of the gods, but for all other purposes, it's a fox.

Then we have an enchantress (the bride) who can only work magic in her sleep, and spends much of the time struggling to stay awake. She infuses jewels with various purposes while asleep, and these jewels can be used in the waking world to protect, etc. The magic system is kind of interesting, and the story gets there too, when the enchantress uncovers an ancient evil that she has to deal with in order to free herself.

The story takes place in an Egyptian-like city, with pyramids that are the tombs of gods. I think. The city and world is still fuzzy to me. Some of the imagery was difficult to decipher, and I felt like I needed to turn upside down to get it. Like I said, it borders on bizarre!

I found the first half of the book hard to get into, especially because the world-building was so off-the-wall. It was also difficult to relate to a somnolent main character who was mostly passive at first. But sometime during the second half, I finally got into the story and stopped being confused. I believe that happened right around the time that the enchantress began to take action and throw a lot of jewels around. I quite enjoyed the tomb-raiding scenes.

If you're looking for a fantasy that's different, this could be for you. I don't think the writing style is for me, though. I prefer to see a world clearly, with all its detail, and that never happened here. After finishing the book, I still find it confused and hazy, like I never saw it come into focus. I still have questions about some loose ends as well, argh. Still, I'm glad I persevered to the end, and that I care enough to wonder about those loose ends.


No comments:

Post a Comment