Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Night of a Thousand Stars - Deanna Raybourn


Night of a Thousand Stars
Night of a Thousand Stars by Deanna Raybourn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Ah, Deanna Raybourn, I love you. Please don't stop writing. And please find a way to come back and write more about Julia and Brisbane. This book made me miss them so much! I want to know more about the Vespiary! There's so much more there, I know it.

Night of a Thousand Stars was yet another enjoyable, light, romantic historical adventure. I enjoyed seeing how Poppy ties in with Julia, and how the mad March legacy continues. But it also made me homesick for the old friends. I still don't want to say goodbye to them for good. And I want more 1920s Middle-Eastern treasure hunts now, too. Everything I read just makes me want more.

So, this one is 4.5 Stars because it didn't quite manage to match up to City of Jasmine. I loved the wedding escape at the beginning - that was hilarious. And Sebastian won me over pretty much instantly before he disappeared. I thought Poppy was really blind and stupid about him at times, but she was also impulsive, smart and stubborn, and I liked her spirit.

The adventure wasn't as adventurous as the one in City of Jasmine, but Poppy isn't an intrepid pilot, and this is her first adventure. So I'm cutting her some slack for not always knowing how to handle it and not always seeing what's going on. And honestly, more treasure would have been nice, too.

It was fun, and I loved it. I want more. Raybourn remains on my list of authors whose books I will actually pre-order - a very short list indeed. I have yet to read a book by her that I didn't love, and I only have one left that I haven't read so far. I'm eagerly anticipating her new Victorian mystery series starting this Fall with A Curious Beginning. I'm sure that I'll end up loving that series too, once I can get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment