Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Review: Doubleblind

Doubleblind by Ann Aguirre
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This third book of the Grimspace series takes place entirely on the xenophobic planet of Ithiss-Tor. Jax has finally arrived to act as Ambassador to the "Bugs" who are desperately needed to strengthen the Conglomerate's position against the Morgut. There is danger every step of the way as Jax navigates the treacherous waters of diplomacy with a mostly hostile species. Intrigue, betrayal, and the nuances of cross-cultural communication make this a fascinating read - a definite change of pace from the previous action-packed installments.

Jax's relationship with March also develops significantly, repairing my dissatisfaction from Wanderlust. I don't want to spoil anything, but I was much happier with their story this time around. I also really enjoyed Jax's growing friendship with Vel, which gets significant attention since they are on Vel's home world and he is Jax's lifeline.

I did find one aspect of the story annoying. In order to keep us informed about what is happening "back home" while Jax is risking everything on Ithiss-Tor, there are news feeds interspersed throughout. I found the switches from first person narrative to news feed or interview transcript jarring. The tone did enhance the feeling that these exchanges take place far in the future, but I felt that they interrupted the flow and made me feel more like a distant observer. Aside from that, this was a strong chapter in the Grimspace series, and I'm looking forward to reading more.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment