Thursday, April 28, 2016

Calamity - Brandon Sanderson

Calamity Calamity by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was another entertaining, fast-paced read. I enjoyed it all the way, and had a hard time putting it down. I liked the concept for the new city, and am still amazed at Sanderson's imagination.

Warning: unmarked spoilers for previous books after this point.

On finishing, I do wish there had been more character interaction. There's a lot of fighting and reacting, and not enough of the team putting their strengths together to solve it. I also wish that dealing with Prof had taken less time.

I'm also not sure about how it wrapped up. Did it fulfill its promise? Am I satisfied? I'm still mulling that one over.

Some of the cleverness was sacrificed for action scenes, the same kind that I grow bored of when superheroes throw each other around endlessly in movies. What I enjoyed so much about Firefight was the mystery of the weaknesses and how to use them strategically. There wasn't as much of that here, and not as satisfying a 'clicking together' when all was revealed.

I guess this is where the 'young adult' aspect of the series really came through. The complexity of the ending was a bit lacking. I do think I wanted something more once I turned the final page. I expect a bit more payoff from Sanderson, honestly. I probably wouldn't hold anyone else to such a high standard and am being stingy.

That said, this was still very entertaining. I loved this series much more than I expected to when I heard what it was about. I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment